Saturday, March 18, 2017

Made it by the hair of my chinny chin chin...

Here's the completed 3D quilt hanging in the guild's show... it had to be turned in by noon yesterday morning.  I stayed home from the guild meeting on Thurs. night because I still had to finish the quilting.. I got within a row and a half when Mo'e stopped working - just STOPPED.  I had felt some tugging, but couldn't find any wires hung up or anything.... until I looked a second time - that's when I noticed that one of the ecoder wires had come out again ( this is the same one that came out last summer and it cost me $300 to get it replaced).  Well, it's Thurs. night ( about 9 pm) and the quilt had to be done by morning... no time to wait til the next day to call the shop and schedule someone to come out.  What's a gal to do??

Well, I got to looking at it and it really looked like it had just been pulled out - meaning nothing looked broken beyond repair - and so I plugged the end back into the ecoder wheel... all the machine lights were on, but Mo'e wouldn't stitch; you couldn't even hear his motor running.  Sigh... so I admitted defeat and that the quilt wasn't going to make it into the show.

Went to bed with the ecoder still on my mind... about midnight, I jumped up and went back out to check it again.  MAYBE I had put it in backwards.  I tried to pull it back apart but couldn't without risking tearing the wires right out of the base piece.  Well, guess what!  Apparently it wasn't in tight and while trying to take it out, I guess I got it back in where it was supposed to be!!  He was running again!!!!  

So, there I was at midnight finishing up the last two rows.  Didn't take long... maybe half an hour - 45 minutes.  Hubby was awake when I went back to bed and I asked him to make sure that I was up no later than 9 the next morning - I still had to trim and stitch the binding & label on.

I was up at 8 ( his threat of ice cold water in my face might have been a deciding factor to me waking up early) and gave myself an hour to wake up ( didn't want to be still fuzzy headed while trying to trim the quilt and add the binding).

The binding itself didn't take but a very few minutes since I'd already decided to use leftovers from previous projects and only had to join a few together.  I ended up joining almost twice what I needed, but better too much than too little.  I also had to remind myself to put the binding onto the back first so that I could just bring it around to the front and machine stitch it down ( no time for hand stitching a binding down - like I'd do something like that anyway).  Two sides of the label was caught in the first binding stitches and because I was short on time, I just applied a dot of glue to the loose corner and called it good.  I'll hand stitch it down once the show is over.

It took me about an hour and a half to trim/square up and sew on the binding.  Grabbed some clothes ( ok, I put them on before leaving the house), the other quilts I was entering and out the door I went... made it there just about 11 a.m.... definitely not the first one there, but also not the last.

 Because I was running so late getting the quilt completed, I didn't have time to toss it in the washer and dryer before the show like I had intended to, so before they were to hang it, I spent some time with my sticky roller trying to get as much cat hair and general fuzz off as I could.    While I'm doing it, other guild members are coming over and admiring the quilt - they'd never thought to use string blocks in a layout like this and remarked how the black really made the string blocks pop.  I hope some took the time to notice all the quilting I did as I'm pretty proud of it... ok, so some of the diamonds in the sashing are 'wonky' - who cares.

Ok, that's it for tonight.... going back to the quilt show about 1 tomorrow afternoon and will just visit with members and visitors until it's time to take the quilts down about 3.

TTYL